Click column header to sort
The Team Leader will;
- Coordinate SSVF operations as part of the program management team in the NYC Continuum of Care (CCoC).
- Directly supervise a staff of SSVF outreach and housing workers.
- Support program implementation efforts across the full SUS SSVF service region (NYC and Long Island).
- Monitor, assess and report on the delivery and documentation of core services and supports for veterans and their families.
- Provide leadership for the team, especially training, supervision, problem-solving for difficult or stagnant cases, and guidance on documentation standards, as directed by Division leadership.
- Support SUS’ commitment to ongoing quality assurance and improvement.
- Assist in the implementation and development of best practices in the field.
- Maintain a small caseload of SSVF participants, as needed, in accordance with agency SSVF standards.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Manage the outreach and housing team’s daily workflow, logs, and coordination with SUS intake and case management staff.
- Provide regular feedback to SUS Regional Director regarding program goals and targets, challenges, and staff updates as needed.
- Respond to client needs promptly, accurately and with courtesy and respect. Model appropriate behavior. Represent the organization in a positive and appropriate manner.
- Provide program and professional supervision, coordinate team meetings and trainings, assist with the monitoring of program outcomes and core services (e.g., Housing Stability Plans, mandatory paperwork, outcomes, HMIS data reports, SUS, VA and CARF-related requirements).
- Conduct and document health and safety drills/QA checks, as per agency standards.
- Ensure that staff works with veterans and their families to measure and assess the impact of services that support homelessness prevention and rapid re-housing; from assessment to service planning, delivery and review.
- Regularly perform reviews of charts, AWARDS, and other Veterans Services records/systems, helping to ensure that the program is following the rules and regulations of licensing and funding agencies, and in accordance with organizational policies and procedures.
- Coordinate documentation of intake screenings and housing services in SUS and NYC database systems.
- Effectively communicate with the Veterans Services team by providing constructive feedback to Veterans Services staff regarding Quality Assurance reviews.
- Assist with the management of SUS’ Veterans data in the HMIS and HOME systems.
- Work alongside staff as needed for compliance/quality improvement measures and promote collaborative quality improvement and planning.
- Assist with accreditation reviews, monitoring visits and program audits.
Position Summary: The Entitlements Specialist works as a member of the team to screen, assess, and follow-up with very-low income Veterans/Veteran families who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. Ensure appropriate participant documentation is obtained and signed. Communicate effectively with service team to rapidly assign cases and address issues from presenting veterans. Support veterans during every step of their benefits/entitlements application, recertification and renewal processes as a means of maximizing income, accessing resources/care, and improving their overall housing stability.
- Delivers support to Veterans and their families in the areas of benefits advocacy, employment coordination and education/training services, both directly and through referral.
- Coordinate Veteran households’ access to income supports, insurance, and benefits.
- Assists team members in the delivery of daily services to support participants housing and income stability plans.
- Assist Veteran households with accessing needed community services, including but not limited to public benefits such as SNAP, WIC and TANF, clothing, legal & child care services, educational and training resources, transportation assistance, and other supports through the development of a referral network and close follow-up.
- Support veterans in identifying/enrolling in VA benefits.
- Ensure all VA benefit paperwork is provided to school certifying official and submitted
- Complete ongoing trainings to obtain/maintain SOAR certification for rapid SSI SSDI processing. Actively utilize the SOAR model to support participants’ income needs and report on SOAR success rates as required by the program.
- Develop, assess and monitor income plans and resources in conjunction with SSVF staff.
- Act as advocate for participants as appropriate; encourage and support self- advocacy.
- Complete fieldwork at SSA, HRA, VBA, Medicaid, and other community-based and governmental agencies, escorting participants as needed to their benefits appointments and hearings.
- Maintain a strong working relationship with colleagues and program managers.
- Document all services in compliance with agency standards.
- Liaison to community-based services and groups including civic, social service government, businesses and non-profit organizations.
- Participate in ongoing individual supervision, team meetings, case conferences, division meetings and trainings.
- Complete other tasks as assigned by management.
The Housing Specialist, SSVF works a member of the social service team to provide Rapid Rehousing and Homelessness Prevention services to veterans/veteran families; functions as a bridge between veterans and housing providers to empower program participants to overcome barriers and meet the goals identified on their individualized housing stability plans; identifies safe, affordable permanent housing options for clients; fosters relationships with landlords and to link each program participant with appropriate community supports to ensure their housing stability.