The Housing Specialist will prepare clients for success in a supportive housing environment after leaving the shelter system through interview preparation, case management/counseling, and escorting clients to housing related appointments.
• Establish linkages and maintain solid working relationships with supportive housing providers, real estate brokers, managing agents, and landlords as a resource for consumers.
• Assess consumer readiness and barriers to obtaining successful supportive housing placements.
• Provide supportive social services including individual and group counseling, workshops, education, referrals, and escorting in an effort to prepare consumers for successfully securing and maintaining permanent housing.
• Prepare and assist consumers with the housing application/interview process.
• Provide accurate, complete, and timely documentation of the provision of supportive social services and consumer progression/regression toward the goals of securing permanent housing.
• Monitor and assess consumer progression/regression in behavior and/or appearance.
• Manage crisis intervention services and addresses all emergency situations as appropriate.
• Maintain CPR/ First Aid Certification.
• Attend interdisciplinary team meetings and case conferences as needed.
• Participates in professional development activities such as in-service trainings, seminars, webinars, and conferences as needed.
• Contact supportive housing providers to schedule clients for placement interviews
• Compile and send client housing packages to appropriate providers
SUS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Services for the UnderServed (S:US) believes every New Yorker has the right to lead a life of purpose. Since 1978, S:US has been turning this belief into reality by advocating for people with life circumstances marked by homelessness, intellectual/developmental disability, behavioral health and addiction challenges, poverty, criminal justice involvement, and trauma. Our dedicated workforce of 2,400 provides services and supports to transform the lives of 35,000 individuals and families in New York City and Long Island. Learn more about S:US, our mission, and values by visiting sus.org.
Benefits Overview: We offer attractive compensation with comprehensive benefits including: Medical/Dental/Prescription/Vision/Life Insurance; 403(b); Credit Union; FSAs; Short-and-Long-Term Disability; Transportation Plan; Generous Paid Vacations and Holidays