Turn your passion for helping others into a fulfilling career at one of New York City’s most respected disability services organizations.
Services for the UnderServed (S:US) is hiring Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) to support people with intellectual/developmental disabilities in living their best life in a safe environment. Join our team to start your career in social services while learning from the best experts in the field.
S:US offers: Flexible scheduling and 1199 union benefits.
This opportunity is available at our program located on Malcolm X Blvd in New York, NY so you can work close to home.
• Assists each consumer in skill development in areas such as independent living, adaptive behaviors, socialization, recreation and activities of daily living.
• Supervises consumers in the community, using various experiences to reinforce skills being taught in group session while ensuring their safety.
• Leads group sessions with consumers and facilitate the discussions to provide learning skills to be used in their community.
• Provides annual and semi-annual progress reports regarding valued outcomes.
• Assesses the needs of lower functioning and/or non-verbal consumers through observations and evaluations; their valued outcomes will be developed and addressed.
• Provides input and ensures compliance with the valued outcomes in the ISP and Day Habilitation Plan.
• Provides weekly documentation of outcomes being worked towards with each individual in accordance with his/her Day Habilitation Plan.
Benefits Overview: We offer attractive compensation with comprehensive benefits including: Medical/Dental/Prescription/Vision/Life Insurance;403(b); Credit Union; FSAs; Short-and-Long-Term Disability; Transportation Plan; Generous Paid Vacations and Holidays
• High School Diploma or GED is required. Associates Degree preferred.
• At least one year experience providing direct care services to adults with a developmental disability.
• AMAP certified, SCIP-R trained, CPR & First Aid Trained
• Valid NYS Driver’s license and must be able to pass insurance criteria
Keywords: Direct service professional, counselor, residential counselor, direct care counselor, habilitation specialist, human services, social services, social worker, case manager, health services, developmental disabilities, mental health behavioral health, OPWDD, OMRDD
SUS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Services for the UnderServed (S:US) believes every New Yorker has the right to lead a life of purpose. Since 1978, S:US has been turning this belief into reality by advocating for people with life circumstances marked by homelessness, intellectual/developmental disability, behavioral health and addiction challenges, poverty, criminal justice involvement, and trauma. Our dedicated workforce of 2,400 provides services and supports to transform the lives of 35,000 individuals and families in New York City and Long Island.