Services for the UnderServed (SUS) is a New York-based nonprofit organization that provides housing and support services to 25,000 individuals and their families living in New York City and Long Island. SUS believes every New Yorker has the right to lead a life of purpose.
For more than 35 years, SUS has been transforming this belief into reality by working as an advocate for people with life circumstances marked by intellectual/developmental disability, behavioral health challenges, poverty, & histories of incarceration and/or trauma.
We drive scalable solutions to transform the lives of people with disabilities, people in poverty and people facing homelessness: solutions that contribute to righting societal imbalances. Our commitment to continuous quality improvement impacts the lives of our clients and communities while contributing to the development of our employees.
Position Summary and Responsibilities: The On Site Property Manager is responsible for directing and coordinating all property related activities at certain apartment buildings financed by Low Income Housing Tax Credits where SUS is part of the ownership with other partners. This person will need to work closely with a number of different staff members and teams, including the Program Director and other social service staff at the buildings, the back office property management team, which will be SUS staff in some cases and other private companies (like Bronx Pro) at other buildings. This person will oversee the building staff (superintendent and porters) and be the owner’s representative to assist the tenants at the building.
- Ensures the timely completion of work orders and reports back directly to upper management with any issues or approvals needed for work orders;
- Visits the property at least 2 times per week and conducts weekly inspections of each assigned property to ensure the building is kept to the quality standard of the company:
- Collaborate with the back office property management, coordinate the leasing of the community room to tenants, accepts payments and security deposits, coordinate inspections and return of security deposit;
- Collaborate with the back office property management, coordinate the leasing of the parking spots to tenants, accepts payments and security deposits, maintains waiting list for parking spots;
- Responsible for addressing any work related to violations from HPD, DEP, ECB, FDNY, etc. and provide reporting to Violations Coordinator when work has been completed;
- Consistently monitor all violations issued at the building, and works to minimize the issuance of violations and ensures the expeditious resolution of them;
- Responsible for being available by phone and phone location in case of emergency 24 hours a day, 7 days a week;
- Responsible for overseeing the security and "turnover" of vacant apartments in an expeditious manner in order to avoid the loss of any rental income, communicate with SPA Department of S:US re: unit availability and required inspections;
- Coordinates with Contracts Manager when outside maintenance or service vendors are needed, and advises Contracts Manager when vendors are not performing satisfactorily;
- Advises Director of Maintenance or VP of Facilities when outside contractors are needed for repair work beyond the capability of the building staff and coordinates access for contractors and ensures inspections are made of work;
- Provides recommendations for capital improvements at the property to the Director of Maintenance and VP of Facilities;
- Ensures all apartment and property inspections are ready prior to and be on site for inspections;
- Exercises limited authority to approve expenditures or spend money on emergencies only. Coordinates with supervisor, Regional Supervisor, Director of Maintenance or VP of Facilities in all other events;
- Ensures that company standards for the performance of maintenance functions are consistently maintained;
- Reviews the building inspection reports in conjunction with supervisor, Director of Maintenance and VP of Facilities in order to understand what maintenance problems need to be resolved and improvements that need to be made;
- Ensures that all HQS and violation work orders are completed in a timely manner, and always before the due date listed on the work order;
- Represents himself/herself and the property in a professional manner with residents, visitors, and other employees; and
- Wears and maintains the prescribed uniform at all times during working hours and ensures that all maintenance personnel do the same.
- Communicates necessary capital improvements to Director of Maintenance and VP of Facilities, who will communicate with the Asset Management/Property Manager for budgeting purposes; and
- Is familiar with the repairs and maintenance budget for the buildings and makes every effort to limit maintenance expenses and adhere to the property's approved budget.
- Supervises and oversees all superintendents and porter/handymen for each assigned property; ensures they are tracking their time, assigning work orders and following up, ensures the timely completion of weekly inspections;
- Responsible for adhering to a weekly work schedule for himself/herself and all other staff at the properties;
- With the Regional Supervisor, trains the Maintenance Mechanics/Handymen, and Porters/Cleaners in the proper performance of their functions, consistent with company policies, procedures, and standards;
- Works with Director of Maintenance and Regional Supervisor in evaluating the performance of the Superintendents, Maintenance Mechanics/Handymen, and Porters/Cleaners; and
- Receives training as needed with regard to the best methods of fulfilling his/her responsibilities, (e.g., how to lift heavy items without getting hurt, and how to make repairs while guarding against viruses and hazardous waste).
Resident Relations and Rent Collection
- Works with program director to develop communication protocol for communicating with both formerly homeless and community tenants re: affecting their tenancy;
- Analyze and respond to resident requests related to managing the property;
- Work with program staff to resolve issues with tenants and achieve tenant lease compliance; and
- As requested by back off property manager, attends scheduled court hearings as Landlord’s representative.
- As directed by back office property management, work with tenants to obtain documents needed for income certifications; and
- Performs other assignments as needed, or as requested by the Director of Maintenance or VP of Facilities or senior management of SUS.