Services for the UnderServed (SUS) is a New York-based nonprofit organization that provides housing and support services to 25,000 individuals and their families living in New York City and Long Island. SUS believes every New Yorker has the right to lead a life of purpose.
For more than 35 years, SUS has been transforming this belief into reality by working as an advocate for people with life circumstances marked by intellectual/developmental disability, behavioral health challenges, poverty, & histories of incarceration and/or trauma.
We drive scalable solutions to transform the lives of people with disabilities, people in poverty and people facing homelessness: solutions that contribute to righting societal imbalances. Our commitment to continuous quality improvement impacts the lives of our clients and communities while contributing to the development of our employees.
The Porter will be responsible for maintaining cleanliness ande minor repairs in a residential shelter.
- Maintain cleanliness in assigned areas within the facility. This includes but is not limited to; floor care (mopping, sweeping, buffing, waxing), cleaning cafeteria and kitchen areas, bathrooms, emptying trash, separating recyleables, emptying garbage, wiping windows and walls, and cleaning stairways and/or elevators.
- Carry out minor repairs and building maintenance throughout assigned areas of the facility. This includes but is not limited to; painting, plastering, repairing furniture, maintaining smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.
- Responsible for exterior snow and ice removal as well as upkeep of the grounds. This includes but is not limited to sidewalk maintenance, mowing grass, trimming shrubbery, maintaining landscaping, rodent removal, and all other aspects of the building exterior.
- Conduct periodic building, dorm, and office inspections for dangerous and hazardous conditions, needed repairs, hygiene, and cleanliness.
- Conduct periodic inspections of fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, and sprinkler system to ensure equipment is working properly and in compliance with regulations.
- Maintain building maintenance tools and machinery to ensure that all items are in good working condition.
- Responsible for laundering bed linens, bathroom towels, kitchens towels, and all other washable items used in the facility by consumers and staff.
- Assist with periodic boiler and water heater inspections to ensure proper functioning at all times.
- Assist in moving and storing program supplies, office furniture, office equipment, dorm furniture, consumer belongings, and other items in and around the facility when and where appropriate.
- Assist in interior decorating and refurbishing of assigned areas of the facility.
- Responsible for insect and bug extermination and rodent removal.
- Drive agency vehicles.
- Must wear SUS maintenance uniform and must maintain uniform so that it is clean and presentable at the start of each shift.
- Maintain CPR/ First Aid Certification.
- Complete other tasks as deemed necessary by the House Manager, Program Director and/or Assistant Director of Facilities.
- Attend staff meetings, case conferences, group supervision, and trainings as needed.
- A work schedule that includes some weekend and evening hours will be required.
Benefits Overview: We offer attractive compensation with comprehensive benefits including: Medical/Dental/Prescription/Vision/Life Insurance;403(b); Credit Union; FSAs; Short-and-Long-Term Disability; Transportation Plan; Generous Paid Vacations and Holidays