Services for the UnderServed (SUS) is a New York-based nonprofit organization that provides housing and support services to 25,000 individuals and their families living in New York City and Long Island. SUS believes every New Yorker has the right to lead a life of purpose.
For more than 35 years, SUS has been transforming this belief into reality by working as an advocate for people with life circumstances marked by intellectual/developmental disability, behavioral health challenges, poverty, & histories of incarceration and/or trauma.
We drive scalable solutions to transform the lives of people with disabilities, people in poverty and people facing homelessness: solutions that contribute to righting societal imbalances. Our commitment to continuous quality improvement impacts the lives of our clients and communities while contributing to the development of our employees.
Position Summary: The Cook will assist in the management and monitoring of all aspects of the development of a nutritious daily menu and meal preparation for shelter residents.
- Assist in the management and monitoring of all aspects of the development of a nutritious daily menu and meal preparation for 200 homeless individuals including those with special diets.
- Prepare low-fat, salt-free, vegetarian and soft meal options to meet special dietary and medically prescribed needs of residents.
- Assist in managing and performing food and equipment ordering and inventory.
- Safe and sanitary handling and storage of all food items in accordance with New York State and New York City Department of Health regulations.
- Responsible for the general supervision of kitchen area, including overall cleanliness, maintenance of equipment, utensils, and supplies, and the ability to provide instruction to inexperienced trainees.
- Assist in the implementation of a Daily Cooking and & Nutrition (Daily Living Skills) training curriculum for Shelter Residents to prepare them for independent living.
- Heat and serve 3 meals per day to 200 shelter residents.
- Attend staff meetings, case conferences, group supervision, and trainings as needed.
- Supervise, instruct, and train residents in basic nutrition, preparation of meals, basic food handling and storage, kitchen cleanliness, and equipment maintenance according to NYC and NYS - DOH guidelines and program requirements.
- Must be CPR/First Aid certified annually.
- Annual TB Clearance is required.
- Comply with and enforce all SUS Corporate Compliance and Employee Policies, Procedures, and Protocols.
- Comply with, enforce, and carry out all SUS Incident Management Policies, Procedures, and Protocols as appropriate.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Food Service Director and/or Program Director.
- A work schedule that includes some weekend and evening hours will be required.
Benefits Overview: We offer attractive compensation with comprehensive benefits including: Medical/Dental/Prescription/Vision/Life Insurance;403(b); Credit Union; FSAs; Short-and-Long-Term Disability; Transportation Plan; Generous Paid Vacations and Holidays