Services for the UnderServed (SUS) is a New York-based nonprofit organization that provides housing and support services to 25,000 individuals and their families living in New York City and Long Island. SUS believes every New Yorker has the right to lead a life of purpose.
For more than 35 years, SUS has been transforming this belief into reality by working as an advocate for people with life circumstances marked by intellectual/developmental disability, behavioral health challenges, poverty, & histories of incarceration and/or trauma.
We drive scalable solutions to transform the lives of people with disabilities, people in poverty and people facing homelessness: solutions that contribute to righting societal imbalances. Our commitment to continuous quality improvement impacts the lives of our clients and communities while contributing to the development of our employees.
Position Summary: The Day Habilitation Specialist provides individuals with developmental disabilities with skill development through a combination of community & classroom learning experiences.
• Assists each consumer in skill development in areas such as independent living, adaptive behaviors, socialization, recreation and activities of daily living.
• Supervises consumers in the community, using various experiences to reinforce skills being taught in group session while ensuring their safety.
• Leads group sessions with consumers and facilitate the discussions to provide learning skills to be used in their community.
• Provides annual and semi-annual progress reports regarding valued outcomes.
• Assesses the needs of lower functioning and/or non-verbal consumers through observations and evaluations; their valued outcomes will be developed and addressed.
• Provides input and ensures compliance with the valued outcomes in the ISP and Day Habilitation Plan.
• Provides weekly documentation of outcomes being worked towards with each individual in accordance with his/her Day Habilitation Plan.
Benefits Overview: We offer attractive compensation with comprehensive benefits including: Medical/Dental/Prescription/Vision/Life Insurance;403(b); Credit Union; FSAs; Short-and-Long-Term Disability; Transportation Plan; Generous Paid Vacations and Holidays
• High School Diploma or GED is required. Associates Degree preferred.
• At least one year experience providing direct care services to adults with a developmental disability.
• AMAP certified, SCIP-R trained, CPR & First Aid Trained
• Valid NYS Driver's License.
Keywords: Direct service professional, counselor, residential counselor, direct care counselor, habilitation specialist, human services, social services, social worker, case manager, health services, developmental disabilities, mental health behavioral health, OPWDD, OMRDD
SUS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER